Towing Complaints: Private Property Tows

The City of Seattle has authority to ensure that you are not overcharged for private impound services. For cars towed from private property in Seattle, you can access the form to file a complaint about towing fee overcharges by clicking the button below.

For more information about towing fees, see max towing fees: private property impounds.

For cars towed from a Seattle public street, see towing complaints: police-authorized tows.

If your car has been towed, pay to retrieve it as soon as possible, even if you plan to file a complaint. The City cannot pay for your car to be released while you wait for the complaint to be resolved.

What to expect when filing a complaint

When you file a complaint, your complaint will be assigned to a City of Seattle inspector. The inspector will contact you to discuss the complaint and investigation.

Complaints for violations that are deemed inadvertent or minor will be dismissed in writing.

Complaints about car damage caused by towing

The City of Seattle has only the authority to ensure that you are not overcharged. The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) has authority to investigate all other tow company complaints. Call the DOL at (360) 664-6484 or email