Small Water Service (2 Inches and Smaller)

To apply for a new 2-inch or less water service or change an existing water service, follow these steps:

Other water service questions

How long will it take to get a water service?

SPU encourages you to apply and pay for water services early. It can take approximately 5 months for water service installation from the date payment is received.

Please contact your Seattle Public Utilities Project Coordinator for more specifics on your tap timelines.

What size water pipe do I need?

Water service is based on the diameter of your water pipe, which is regulated by the Seattle Plumbing Code.

  • Most single-family residences require a 3/4-inch diameter water pipe with a 5/8-inch water meter.
  • If a fire suppression system is required, the minimum size is a 1-inch diameter water pipe with a 1-inch meter.
  • For larger projects, including commercial buildings, the water service must be designed by a licensed mechanical engineer.

Water service installation fees

Note: Total prices for services in the City of Burien will be higher to cover local utility taxes levied by the City of Burien (Burien Municipal Code 3.12.040).

Meter size Connection charge Installation fee Installation and connection total
  Non-Arterial Street Arterial Non-Arterial Street Arterial
Domestic services:
3/4 x 5x8 inch $1,900 + $4,550 $5,850 = $6,450 $7,750
1 inch $3,230 + $4,750 $6,050 = $7,980 $9,280
1 ½ inch $6,270 + $7,300 $8,350 = $13,570 $14,620
2 inches $10,070 + $8,200 $9,250 = $18,270 $19,320
2 inch High Flow $15,770 + $9,325 $10,375 = $25,095 $26,145
  • Street restoration is an extra fee.
  • Fees are higher for installations on arterials to account for the higher costs associated with these jobs.
  • Multiple ¾-inch and 1-inch services installed with a manifold will receive a reduction for each additional service.