Final Prep

After planning and preparation, now it's time to begin the final steps to opening your restaurant. Hiring the right employees is one of the biggest factors in your success, and hiring and sustaining employees correctly - and legally - will be an ongoing responsibility. Make sure you're ready when opening day arrives.

Topic Requirements
Hire and Train Employees
Final Inspections and Approvals

For brick-and-mortar restaurants

Hire and Train Employees

You must complete federal and state employment applications and report regularly on wages and taxes. By the time you're ready to hire employees, you should already have established accounts with the state Department of Revenue, the state Department of Labor and Industries, Employment Security Department, and the Office of the Secretary of State (unless you're a sole proprietor).

Employer Registration

Employee Training

  • Washington State Food Worker Cards - All employees of a food establishment, including cooks, bartenders, servers, hosts, bus persons, etc., are required to obtain a Food Worker Card. The class and test are available online or in-person at Public Health-Seattle & King County or any other county in Washington State.
  • Mandatory Alcohol Server Training - Mandatory alcohol server training is required for managers, bartenders, and other employees who serve alcohol or supervise its sale for on-premises consumption. This applies to liquor-licensed establishments like restaurants, nightclubs, taverns, and others.
  • Safety and Health Training - Employers are required to provide training to employees on their accident prevention program.

Employee Safety and Wellbeing

blue check mark


Free health and safety consultations are available through Labor and Industries.

  • Seattle Minimum Wage - Seattle's minimum wage ordinance will increase in the minimum wage in the City of Seattle to $15 an hour, phased in over time. The ordinance allows for different wage-increase schedules for large and small employers over the next several years.
  • Paid Sick and Safe Time - Employees in the City of Seattle accrue paid sick and paid safe time for use when an employee or family member needs to take time off from work due to illness or a critical safety issue.
  • Fair Chance Employment - The City of Seattle sets limits on how employers can use conviction and arrest records for jobs within City limits.
  • Wage Theft - The City of Seattle provides Seattle workers with additional protections from wage theft. OLS can investigate workers' complaints of nonpayment of wages and tips, creating an administrative process for addressing wage theft complaints.
  • Employee Workplace Notices - Employee workplace notices are required or recommended by several state and federal agencies, and must be posted where employees can read them. Posters are available free from state and local regulatory agencies.
  • Safe Workplace - Employers must have a written accident prevention program and must provide employees with a safe workplace. Labor and Industries has a Restaurant Industry Safety & Health webpage with customized information and resources to help develop a program.
  • Fire Safety and Emergency Plans - Seattle Fire Department requires Fire Safety and Emergency Plans for restaurants, bars, and banquet halls with occupancy of 100 or more.

Final Inspections and Approvals

This section is for brick-and-mortar restaurants; mobile food businesses must meet other requirements

Final Building Inspection

Before having your final inspection and getting a Certificate of Occupancy, you must meet the following requirements:

  • All land use conditions must be complete if you have a Master Use Permit.
  • All alarms, pressurization, sprinkler systems, and other safety systems must be approved by the Seattle Fire Marshal's office. The Seattle Fire Department must approve a final inspection prior to the building inspector's final inspection.
  • Assembly Permit must be obtained from the Fire Department for restaurants with 100+ occupants.
  • All mechanical systems must be approved by Seattle Department of Construction and Inspection inspectors.
  • All work authorized by trade permits - such as electrical, plumbing, elevator, mechanical, boiler, and street use - must be inspected and finalized. This includes Seattle Public Utilities conditions like water supply provisions and backflow prevention.
  • All required signage must be installed (exit, maximum occupancy, maximum storage load, address, etc.).
  • All required post-permit submittals must be on file with the Department of Construction and Inspection and all fees paid.

Get a Certificate of Occupancy after all final building, trade, and fire permit approvals are complete and in hand. Call the Department of Construction and Inspections' Inspection Request Line ((206) 684-8900) for a final inspection by the building inspector. If everything is in order and in compliance with approved plans, you'll receive your Certificate of Occupancy.

blue check mark


Seattle requires approved compostable and/or recyclable one-time use service ware or packaging (including doggie bags). Your restaurant must also set up on-site collection bins for food and compostables, recycling, and garbage, and sign up for food and compostables and recycling collection services with a vendor. See the Food Packaging Requirements overview.

Health Dept. Annual Food Service Business Permit

  • Obtain annual Food Service Business Permit after your Food Service Plan is approved and any construction is complete.
  • After you've paid for this permit, you should set up your pre-operational inspection with the county Health Department (see the following inspections).
blue check mark


Annual Food Service Business Permit fees range from $350-$1,009, depending on seating capacity and menu risk level. Fees are prorated if opening mid-cycle. These permits are non-transferable.

Health Dept. Pre-Operational Inspection

  • Once you've obtained a Food Service Business Permit (above) and the Plumbing Permit sign-off, call the Health Department for your required pre-operational inspection.
  • Check your plan approval letter, which may have conditions that you're required to meet before you open. These conditions will be checked during this inspection. If your restaurant doesn't meet Health Department standards, you'll need to make the required changes, and pay $402 for another pre-opening inspection - so be sure you meet all the requirements before setting up your inspection. See the Health Department Food Service Permitting webpage.

Liquor and Cannabis Board Inspection

  • The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board will conduct a new liquor license technical support visit within 6 weeks of opening - but some liquor licenses may require inspection before you open your doors.
  • Your local enforcement officer can help you understand liquor laws and regulation. The officer will check your required signs, answer any questions, and review operations with you.
  • Officers will conduct ongoing enforcement, such as compliance checks and premises visits, to ensure you're serving safely.
  • You are required to post signs and licenses at your business based on your license type. These signs are available at no charge once you obtain your liquor license. Liquor and Cannabis Board enforcement officers and local law enforcement will look for these signs and licenses when visiting your business.

Economic Development

Markham McIntyre, Director
Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 5752, Seattle, WA, 98104
Mailing Address: PO Box 94708, Seattle, WA, 98124-4708
Phone: (206) 684-8090
Phone Alt: (206) 684-0379
Fax: (206) 684-0379

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Economic Development

The mission of the Office of Economic Development (OED) is to help create healthy businesses, thriving neighborhoods, and community organizations to contribute to a robust economy that will benefit all Seattle residents and future generations.